How to Crochet a Pumpkin Coaster
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I'll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
I’m back with another free pattern for you! This little pattern is the perfect quick project to help add some cute flair to your halloween decorating. It is beginner friendly (like all of my patterns!) and will take you no time at all to make. So let’s get started!
- A small amount of worsted weight cotton yarn — I like to use Dishie from We Crochet
- A small amount of worsted weight cotton yarn in a contrasting color (for the face and back of coaster)
- Size H Crochet Hook / 5mm — Find my favorite hook here
- Yarn needle
- CH — chain
- SC — single crochet
- Cross stitch — one square on the chart counts as one “X”
- 5in x 5in
- Gauge is not super important for this project
- CH 1 does not count as the first SC in the row.
- If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I’d be happy to help!
Time to start making your coaster!
Make 2 — I made the front orange and the back black.
Row 1 (Right Side): SC in the 2nd chain from the hook and in each chain across, turn. (19 sc)
Row 2-19: CH 1 (does not count as stitch), SC in the first stitch and in each stitch across, turn. (19 sc)
Fasten off and weave in ends.
Now comes the really fun part!! We’re going to begin cross stitching on top of our crocheted piece.
Cross stitch will be worked over 2 rows of sc.
CROSS STITCH WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS
- With your contrast color yarn, cut a long piece (about 50”).
- Using a yarn needle, start with the top left eye of the pumpkin. From the bottom of the coaster, count up 13 rows. Your first “X” will be made over the 12th and 13th rows from the top.
- Then skip the first 8 stitches from the left. Make your first “X” over the next stitch. To make the next eye, skip 2 stitches and make another “X’ over the next stitch.
- Following the chart, continue to cross stitch a mouth onto the coaster. Be creative! You can make any face you want! :)
- When you are done with the design, fasten off and weave in the ends on the back of your work.
ASSEMBLY (See video below)
- Start with a slip knot and slip stitch both pieces together in the top right corner.
- Ch 1. SC in the same corner space. SC into each stitch across.
- When you get to the corner, put 2 SC into the corner space. Then continue to SC evenly around, putting 2 SC into each corner.
- When you get to the end, put 1 SC into the same corner space as your first stitch. Slip stitch to the first stitch.
- Cut yarn and pull through to secure.
You’ve made your new pumpkin coaster!! Make sure to post pictures and tag me on Instagram so I can see!