How to Cross Stitch on Crochet
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I'll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
This post is all about how to cross stitch on a crochet piece.
Have you ever wanted to try cross stitching on crochet!? I use this method for most of my designs and I wanted to offer you a FREE PATTERN just to try this method out. You can find the video tutorial at the end of this post in case you want to follow along with me. I created this video as a bonus class for the crochet and knit summit this summer, hosted by My Yarn Club, but I just knew you would love this project too! I hope you enjoy this free pattern and I look forward to seeing all of your finished washcloths! Make sure to find me on Instagram and tag me so I can see.
Scroll all the way down to see the video tutorial!
- Worsted weight cotton yarn / 90 yards — I like to use Dishie from We Crochet (I used the color “Blush”)
- A small amount of worsted weight cotton yarn in a contrasting color (I used the color “Black”)
- Size H Crochet Hook / 5mm — Find my absolute favorite hook here
- Yarn needle
- CH - chain
- SC - single crochet
- Cross stitch - one square on the chart counts as one “X”
- 7.5in x 7.5in
- 18 stitches + 20 rows of sc = 4” x 4” square
- However, gauge is not super important for this project
- CH 1 does not count as the first SC in the row.
- If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I’d be happy to help!
Okay…let’s get to the good part! The pattern! :)
Let’s first begin by crocheting the washcloth…
With pink, CH 33.
Row 1 (Right Side): SC in the 2nd chain from the hook and in each chain across, turn. (32 sc)
Row 2-35: CH 1 (does not count as stitch), SC in the first stitch and in each stitch across, turn. (32 sc)
Fasten off and weave in ends.
Now comes the really fun part!! We’re going to begin cross stitching on top of our crocheted piece.
- Cross stitch will be worked over 2 rows of sc.
- Each square counts as one “X” or one cross stitch.
Step 1: (From back to front) Insert your yarn needle and contrasting colored yarn in the bottom right of the stitch indicated in the pattern below. Pull yarn through, but leave a long tail on the back to weave in later.
Step 2: (From front to back) Insert you needle into the top right corner and pull through. You will be working over 2 rows of sc.
Step 3: (From back to front) Insert your needle into the bottom left corner and pull through.
Step 4: (From front to back) Insert your needle into the top right corner and pull through. You have made your first cross stitch!
CROSS STITCH WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS
1. With your contrast color yarn, cut a long piece (about 50”).
2. Using a yarn needle, start with the top left stitch of the heart. (As shown in picture below.) From the top of the washcloth, count down 8 rows. Your first “X” will be made over the 7th and 8th rows from the top.
3. Then skip the first 11 stitches from the left. Make your first “X” over the next stitch.
4. Following the chart, continue to cross stitch the design onto the washcloth. (As shown in picture B below.)
5. When you are done with the design, fasten off and weave in the ends on the back of your work.
And there you have it! I hope you enjoyed this free pattern and tutorial! Make sure to like and subscribe to my youtube channel for upcoming pattern tutorials, as well as general tips and tricks!
Please let me know if you have any questions! And if you make this washcloth, make sure to tag me on instagram: @oakandwillowllc and use #oakandwillowllc and #heartwashcloth so I can see all of your finished creations!
Happy making friends!!